The renewable energy industry includes several types of work, such as research, production, installation and maintenance of renewable energy plants and many of those people are lone workers for long periods of time.
With new international targets for energy sustainability, recently discussed during the COP26 Conference at Glasgow, the production of renewable energy will increase over the coming years and decades.
Renewable energies include wind, wave, marine, hydro, biomass, and solar power. This sector mixes the future of energy with some traditional risks for lone workers.
The risks of lone workers in the Renewable Energy Industry
As in other industries, such as Oil&Gas and powerplants, in addition to standard risks as working at height or in unpredictable conditions, lone workers in the renewables must face additional risks.
Many renewable energy sites are isolated by their nature. Working in these areas increases the impact of potential accidents. Lone workers can be for example alongside high-risk machinery, offshore, on the road, on a hydropower plant with limited access, or on solar farms where in case of accidents raising the alarm and maintaining communication is difficult.
For example, in a hydropower plant there is no natural lighting, lower floors are often below the outside water level, and many are underground. Here a lone worker can face risks of explosion, fire, slips and falls, but also chemical risks and asphyxiation caused by carbon dioxide.
In these conditions staying in communication with the lone worker is very important.
Protecting lone workers in the Renewable Energy Industry with VerticalMan®
We offer to our customers in this industry an easy solution thanks to VerticalMan®.
When maintenance workers, engineers and other lone workers are equipped with VerticalMan® it is easier for the control centre to send the rescue teams in case of accidents.
VerticalMan® works also in places where there is no GPS signal, it can use Wi-Fi connectivity or satellite communication with the help of Satellite WiFi Hotspot device. In the middle of nowhere, without signal from any GSM operator the Satellite Hotspot is a smart solution. It can be used like a WiFi hotspot where the Android smartphone with VerticalMan can connect to communicate with the rescuers. There are mobile satellite hotspots that can be carried inside a backpack, in a jacket or installed inside a car.
The man down app runs on Android smartphones and allows lone workers to:
- use any Android smartphones, included rugged and ATEX devices;
- have all the features of a classic man down device with remote notification to rescuers via SMS and phone calls, or all web communication allowed (email, http, VoIP, SMS from Web);
- use other apps without them interfering with the man down function.
Additional benefits of VerticalMan® in the Renewable Energy Industry
- High reliability: there are no false technical alarms.
- It is customizable with over 140 parameters.
- The system’s administrator can customize each SMS and email.
- You could have the positioning in the message with the link to Google Maps
- It is adaptable: it can be integrated with the company central alarm system
- The privacy of the operator is guaranteed, his position is communicated only in case of alarm.
- Usable with wearable technology.
Sustainability is an important concept of these years. It means not only taking care of the environment saving resources, but also of all workers’ health.
VerticalMan® is an important ally in ensuring the safety of lone workers also in in the renewable energy industry.